Re: All these ideas

Hello James,

James Green <gnome@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> 2. I've been wondering what exactly Bonobo is. I took a look at
> developer.gnome.org but none of the top-level entries mentioned it. Maybe
> this should be addressed?

Bonobo is a project to do three things:

1. Provide a programming framework which can be used to build large
   applications out of small, self-contained components.

2. Implement a standard set of interfaces for creating compound
   documents, i.e. documents with other documents embedded in them.
   This is a standard method of embedding, for example, a spreadsheet
   document into a word processor.

3. Act as a mechanism whereby developers can write small,
   self-contained "controls."  Think Super Widgets, with a standard
   set of base attributes and methods.

Miguel has written an excellent document explaining the motivation
behind Bonobo.  It's in CVS modules bonobo, file doc/bonobo.sgml.  You
can find it off http://cvs.gnome.org, if you like.

Best,
Nat