Re: Ease of use (was Call for constructive user criticism.)

+++ Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 12:54:57PM -0700 +++
Fox, Kevin M e-mails me. Film at 11. Reply right now, after the break.
[some k3wl libglade interface concept]
> True. But, it allows them to still use the programs when they dont know how
> to use a computer and work themselves up to the advanced level. Presenting a
> new user with 10,000 buttons would just make the user go bonkerz, but
> presenting the user with the 100 or so buttons he/she needs to start off
> with will make learning go faster.

A user interface which presents a user with 10,000 buttons is
fundamentally broken concept-wise anyway.

User interfaces should be done right. That is, *one* interface should
be made that does it right. It's entirely possible.

The answer is not having two modes with a steep learning cliff
in between, but an interface with a smooth learning curve you can
easily follow to whatever degree of efficiency you want and are
willing to invest memory and time in.

mawa
--
Errr.. 'want' and 'Windows NT' are not words that normally go in the
same sentence.