Re: how to play audio cd

Tom Gilbert <gilbertt@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk> writes on Sat, 7 Aug 1999
22:26:

>* Scott Haug (eldamitri@hotmail.com) [990805 17:45]:
> > It isn't a gnome issue, but strangely enough this was dealt with on this
> > list about a week or so ago.  You can follow the thread here.

> > To diagnose the problem, we need to know more.  First of all, can you
>get
> > cd's to play with your hardware set up at all?  Do you dual boot to
>windows
> > and, if so, does it work there?  What type of soundcard do you have?
>What
> > sound driver are you using (OSS or ALSA)?  As the other poster
>mentioned,
> > have you checked your hardware connections and volume levels in a mixer
> > application?
> >
> > I have similar problems with my linux system.  My soundcard is an
>Ensoniq
> > AudioPCI, and I was told that it is likely a driver issue.  The OSS
>drivers
> > (at least the one's that come with the kernel) are broken WRT cd audio,
>but
> > that the ALSA drivers work.  Unfortunately, I haven't had time to
>install
> > the ALSA drivers yet, so I can't comment on whether or not that fixed my
> > problem.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > -Scott

Hi, Tom,

>Audio cd stuff has nothing to do with soundcard drivers!

You know, Tom, I would have agreed with you before I ran into this
problem.  But my experience suggests otherwise.

>btw, I have the same soundcard as you, and have no driver problems at
>all. What kernel are you using? Kernels 2.2+ all come with a built in
>driver for this. All it took me was one click in make xconfig to
>enable my soundcard. No configuration/modules/fiddling necessary...
>
>Tom.

Interesting.  I'm using 2.2.5.  I had been using the included kernel sound
drivers, and everything worked great save for the cd audio.  I installed the
sound drivers as modules, so I guess I had only slightly more configuration
than you.  But otherwise, they worked great.

I have no idea why the cd audio didn't work.  As mentioned in one of my
physical connections weren't the issue.  In Linux, I checked to make sure
that my cd audio wasn't muted and that the volume was turned up on all
possible inputs.  Running apps like gtcd was definitely controlling the cd
player correctly---if I plugged in headphones to the cdrom headphone jack, I
could listen to cd's using gtcd to control playing, stopping, pausing, etc.
The cddb feature looked up the cd information correctly.  Just no audio
through the soundcard.

That is, until I installed the alsa drivers.  Since I had installed the
original drivers as modules, switching was a relatively painless process.
Now everything works *including* cd audio.  Count me as a satisfied alsa
customer.

Wrong mailing list, but would anyone care to offer an explanation of why
they think installing different sound drivers would affect cd audio through
the sound card, when there are those (like Tom) that adamently claim they
should have no effect?  I'm at a loss, except to say that they definitely
made a difference for me.  And I'm not the only one---others have written me
claiming success in getting cd audio to work for their Ensoniq AudioPCI 1370
soundcard solely by switching to the alsa drivers.

-Scott