Re: how to play audio cd

* Scott Haug (eldamitri@hotmail.com) [990805 17:45]:
> It isn't a gnome issue, but strangely enough this was dealt with on this
> list about a week or so ago.  You can follow the thread here.

> To diagnose the problem, we need to know more.  First of all, can you get
> cd's to play with your hardware set up at all?  Do you dual boot to windows
> and, if so, does it work there?  What type of soundcard do you have?  What
> sound driver are you using (OSS or ALSA)?  As the other poster mentioned,
> have you checked your hardware connections and volume levels in a mixer
> application?
>
> I have similar problems with my linux system.  My soundcard is an Ensoniq
> AudioPCI, and I was told that it is likely a driver issue.  The OSS drivers
> (at least the one's that come with the kernel) are broken WRT cd audio, but
> that the ALSA drivers work.  Unfortunately, I haven't had time to install
> the ALSA drivers yet, so I can't comment on whether or not that fixed my
> problem.
>
> Good luck!
>
> -Scott

Audio cd stuff has nothing to do with soundcard drivers!

btw, I have the same soundcard as you, and have no driver problems at
all. What kernel are you using? Kernels 2.2+ all come with a built in
driver for this. All it took me was one click in make xconfig to
enable my soundcard. No configuration/modules/fiddling necessary...

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |