Re: how to play audio cd

It isn't a gnome issue, but strangely enough this was dealt with on this
list about a week or so ago.  You can follow the thread here.

To diagnose the problem, we need to know more.  First of all, can you get
cd's to play with your hardware set up at all?  Do you dual boot to windows
and, if so, does it work there?  What type of soundcard do you have?  What
sound driver are you using (OSS or ALSA)?  As the other poster mentioned,
have you checked your hardware connections and volume levels in a mixer
application?

I have similar problems with my linux system.  My soundcard is an Ensoniq
AudioPCI, and I was told that it is likely a driver issue.  The OSS drivers
(at least the one's that come with the kernel) are broken WRT cd audio, but
that the ALSA drivers work.  Unfortunately, I haven't had time to install
the ALSA drivers yet, so I can't comment on whether or not that fixed my
problem.

Good luck!

-Scott