Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

>> Users shouldn't HAVE to learn things,
>    Users have to learn things, a computer is not a simple object like a
>television and so there is, and should be a learning process involved.

Wrong: you must learn how to use a television. Sometimes you even need to
pass a exam (car, planes). Computer are complicated machines (I guess more
than cars, but not as dangerous... I hope ;] ). Somebody said that the only
intuitive machine is the nipple. He was right.

>> they should have the option of
>> learning things if they want to.  You can avoid the the blue screen, by
>> locking the eject button on a CD drive like Macs do.  Mounting and
>> unmounting of media is done right on the Mac, why can't this method just
>> be used in Linux?  Have a "Trash" Can on the Desktop and drag the CD
>> there to unmount it.
>    And whats wrong with having an unmount command in the menu?

Macs have hardware to detect and eject floppies. They do more things than
typical PC. But autofs is there, as is pooling (check every 10 sec or so to
see if there is a floppy, famous Amiga "click", IIRC).

>> There is no reason to re-invent the wheel if there
>> is a suitable solution out there. Just because a method is used by
>> another OS besides Linux doesn't mean it is wrong.
>Hmm, "Lets see, I want my disk back, so I'll drag it to the place that I
>drag stuff when I want it deleted." Not exactly the most logical of things
>is it?

No, it is a Mac problem. Users learn it and live with it, they do not think
about it, they just drag. It is not the best option. They should have a
spring icon (or something like that) to drag there the discs.

GSR