Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

Sean Murphy wrote:

> Even though I'm a long-time Mac user, I'd have to agree with James in that it
> isn't logical at all to drag a disk to the trash to eject.  It would make more
> sense if performing that operation would bring up a dialog window asking if
> you wish to reformat the disk and give you options as to what type of file
> system you would like to format it with (FAT32, HFS, EXT2, etc).  Is anyone
> attempting to make this happen?  I think it would be a pretty useful feature,
> although maybe I'm alone on this.
>
> I would like to see gnome go the way of Mac as far as auto-mounting disks.  I
> love the fact that when you put a disk in on the Mac, an icon pops up on the
> desktop and the icon can be clicked on and used.  If there is no disk in the
> drive, there isn't an icon on the desktop.  When I started using Windows, I
> couldn't believe how stupid the computer was!  It had no idea whether the disk
> was installed or not, and file system browser is constantly displaying the
> floppy and CD-ROM drives even when there is no disk in them.  What good does
> it do to have an icon of a drive that has no disk in it?

Well, the ability to check to see if a disk/cd/zipdisk/whatever is in
the drive is really the system's job. If there is a way to check if any
of these media types is in the drive, the system should do it, and GNOME
should use it. But until there is, GNOME should not foist anything onto
the system.

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill