Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

"jack wallen, jr" wrote:

> > Setting up ppp is something for root. If a user doesn't have root
> > permission, he should ask root to set up ppp for him. That's the
> > way it is now, and that's how it should remain (IMO).
> >
> > Ronald
>
> this just doesn't make sense to me.  the new user, wanting to use Linux
> for their desktop OS, doesn't want to have to muck around with priveleges
> and the like.  yes, that's a linux issue of course i know that - but
> that's the very attitude that's keeping the new users away from Linux in
> the first place.
>
> no matter how close and dear Linux is to those using it - you gotta make
> it simple if you want to entise new users.  and there is absolutely
> nothing wrong with that philosophy.

Only Root Should Set Up PPP.

Breaking multi-user Unix to satisfy some debatable single-user
"ease-of-use" grail is *not* an option.

If the user needs to be root to do something, then prompt him for the
root password to do that something. It's that simple.

If he doesn't want to give the root password again, then explain to him
how he can get around it (in the pppd case, explain how to set the
permissions to be -rwsr-x---, and make it owned by root.dip -- users who
wish to use ppp should be added to the dip group).

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
     pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened."
        -- Winston Churchill