Re: how to play audio cd

On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 08:22:03PM -0500, Scott Haug wrote:
> It isn't a gnome issue, but strangely enough this was dealt with on this
> list about a week or so ago.  You can follow the thread here.
I think Iīll just join the club...

I am using an old Sony-8x-CD-ROM which works absolutely fine when I am
using xmcd, kscd, xmms or any Windows cd-player application.

It worked fine with gtcd a long long time ago... Back in the old days,
gnome 0.20 or gnome 0.25. But nowadays, it doesnīt work anymore. :-(

To be specific: I can use kscd to start cd-audio-playback and then view
the display of gtcd which is updated correctly (well, about half a second
delay, compared to kscd). I just canīt perform any actions with gtcd.
I canīt start, eject, skip tracks, etc.

No gtcd error-messages, but the kernel (2.2.10, but 2.0.35 showed the
same problems) reports (twice):
hdd: irq timeout: status=0x80 { Busy }
hdd: ATAPI reset complete

My cd-rom-drive has two lights: green, indicating normal access, red
showing cd-audio-playback. gtcd causes it to flash green once or twice,
and thatīs it. Audio-playback is never started.

I think, that specific gtcd-problems are off-topic here, but since it has
been started...

--
CU,
   Patrick.