Re: GNOME Usability Improvements - Fix the window manager!

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Roberto Suarez Soto wrote:

> 	I would be very pleased if I only had a text editor with text
> formatting capabilities. The ones that I know (StarOffice, WP, even
> Netscape) are too big for such a thing. I think that some WordPad kind of
> thing would be very fine.
>
> 	(If there's something like that, please tell me and  O:-))

You might be interested in Ted: "http://www.nllgg.nl/Ted/" and
"http://freshmeat.net/news/1999/08/01/933547212.html".  The latest
version is available at "ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/editors/ted/".

In "http://linuxpr.com/releases/201.html" it says:

------------ bite here -----------------
             Ted 2.5, an easy to run and easy to install Rich Text Processor for
             Linux/Unix
             released under the Gnu Public License.

             [ snip ]

             Description of Ted
             About two years ago Ted was started as an operating system
             accessory like Wordpad for Linux. Compatibility with Macintosh and
             Windows word processing applications played an important role in
             the design of Ted. Every document produced by Ted is a legal
             something.rtf file for Word without any loss of formatting or
             information. In the other direction, compatibility with Word is not
             perfect, but a major part of the functionality of Word is supported.
             Although from the point of view of technical elegance, RTF is far
             from ideal, the fact that RTF files can be exchanged between so
             many word processing programs was conclusive in the choice of a
             file format.

             [ snip ]
             History and motivation
             Mark de Does is a professional software developer working on more
             computer platforms than just Windows. He was annoyed by the fact
             that every time he had to make a presentable text, he had to boot
             Windows to type and format it. About two years ago, he decided that
             the only way to provide what he was so dearly missing, was to build
             a simple word processor himself. The primary source of inspiration
             was the 'Edit' application under NextStep.

             [ snip ]

             Future developments of Ted will include the support of more
             languages and scripts, more features to control the vertical layout of
             the text, and probably a move from the Motif widget set to GTK.

I like it quite a lot.
                                   Cheers, P. *8^)
--
   --------- Paul Seelig <pseelig@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de> -----------