Re: Filetype identification in gmc

AFAIK (and I reserve the same right that you do), the 'file' command uses
bit patterns at predefined offsets to determine file types, i.e. it opens
the file and reads a few bytes.  To do this in gmc would mean opening and
reading *lots* of files, and could put a strain on performance due to disk
access.

Feel free to rebuke me if someone has a better and/or more accurate
description.

Thanks,

-Scott