Re: Filetype identification in gmc

>From: "Scott Haug" <eldamitri@hotmail.com>

>AFAIK (and I reserve the same right that you do), the 'file' command uses
>bit patterns at predefined offsets to determine file types, i.e. it opens
>the file and reads a few bytes.  To do this in gmc would mean opening and
>reading *lots* of files, and could put a strain on performance due to disk
>access.

Yup, that's the story I got a few months back when I complained about this.
Mostly it doesn't matter too much.  But since Perl libraries and X Pixmaps both
use *.pm, it *can* have some funny results =OZ

Ta,

-------My opinion - Not sane, intelligent or necessarily useful-------
o o                                      mailto:Moredhel@earthling.net
/v\ark R. Bowyer.  http://i.am/Moredhel  mailto:Mark.Bowyer@UK.Sun.COM
`-'         "Everything is true, for a given value of 'true'" - PTerry