Filetype identification in gmc

Hi.

It seems to me (and I always reserve the right to be wrong) that
gmc determines the type of a file solely on the extension it has.
I don't like this, it is not powerful enough and it seems like
just-another-MSDOS-ripoff. I think that filetype identification
should be able to use at least filename patterns (like extensions),
locations and file contents. Take for instance the .doc extension.
Is it a text document? Is it an MS Word document? Is it an airplane?

I don't know exactly how the 'file' command determines the type of
a file, maybe we could use that.

Cheers.

--
Per Erik Stendahl