Re: Some constructive criticism for you

> This *must* be a FAQ by now. When you install an rpm, stuff goes under
> the /usr/ tree. When you compile an app yourself, .configure and
> .autogen.sh default to /usr/local. This is what stops your applets from
> working from the right-click menu. The .desktop and .gnorba files are
> in the wrong place.
>
> When you have an rpm-based system, and compile apps yourself, you must
> run ./configure --prefix=/usr (or ./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr for CVS).

Is there any thought of allowing gnome to check both?  I for instance have
a stock 6.0 machine, on top of which I build things from source.  I prefer
having things I build go into /usr/local  but since gnome is installed in
/usr, I must install things there if I want the .desktop files to get
picked up.  (or I could do it manually, but still, it should be automatic)

-chris
Christopher Rogers      http://www.pobox.com/~gandalf
gandalf@pobox.com       gandalf@darkcorner.net

sometimes, lifes not fair, i correct myself, i mean all the time
		-god lives underwater