Re: [Fwd: Gnome RPM Configuration Help]

The latest version of gnorpm contains better help files.  Also, the help
button in the preferences dialog actually works :)

The rpmfind and distributions pages of the preferences dialog are used to
configure the web find window.  The distrib field is calculated by finding
the most common term found in the distribution field for all packages on
the system.  It should give the same result as the following command:
  rpm -qa --qf '%{distribution}\n' |sort|uniq -c|sort -nr|head -1

It is used when trying to deduce the most appropriate RPM for your system
(if the package comes from the same distribution it will probably work)
in the web find window.  Other than that, it does not change the
behaviour.

The distributions page allows you to place ratings on the different
distributions that are indexed on the rpmfind server.  It also allows you
to specify your favourite mirror.  If you are using the www.redhat.com
metadata server (the default for binary distributed with RH6).  On the
other hand, if you use the larger rpmfind.net server, there are about 90
distributions, so you may want to give the rpmfind code some hints as to
what to pick (for a start, if you are using a red hat based distribution,
set the SUSE distributions in the list to -1, so they don't get chosen).
If you want, don't even worry about this page.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/