Re: Call for constructive user criticism.

On Sun, Aug 01, 1999 at 01:18:48PM -0500, Miguel de Icaza wrote:

>    1. A team of *users* that would tell us what they would like to see
>       in GNOME:
>
>       a. To make the interface easier.
>       b. To make it more intuitive to people.
>       c. To make the system more consistent.
>       d. To make the system "nicer".
>       e. To make GNOME the best user interface out there.
>       f. To improve the documentation of GNOME.

May I suggest one further item which no-one has mentioned.
I would find GNOME much easier to use
if I understood a little more of its architecture and organisation.
Eg, how exactly are the GNOME menus reflected in the file system?
What are the vital parts of a GNOME application?

Of course one can run GNOME as a "black box" (like Windows),
and it might be argued that this makes life easier.
That is probably true most of the time,
but when things don't work as expected,
it can be frustrating and annoying.

So I would add

	g. To make it as transparent as possible,
(so that its workings are visible when desired).

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: tim@maths.tcd.ie