Re: Some constructive criticism for you

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Ali Abdin wrote:

> Anyway, I just thought I'd provide my constructive criticism for you :)
>
> Anyway, I have all the /LATEST/ RPMS from the gurulabs.com site.
> I have an applet problem. The basic/default apps work perfectly, but any
> new apps I install (i.e. gnomeicu or anything from the gnome-applets CVS
> package) don't work. They just do not add themselves if I right-click and
> select them. if I run them from gnome-terminal they work perfectly though
> and register with the panel. But right-clicking and selecting them just
> doesn't wokr. Any suggestions? it is very annoying

Two things, one, not all programs insert themselves in to the menu.  And I
think GnomeICU actually installs itself into the applet menu.  Another thing
is, the panel menu (as far as I know) only looks two places for .desktop
files.  One being ~/.gnome/apps and the other being PREFIX/share/apps (I
think). If Gnome is installed in /usr/opt and the app is installed in to
/usr/local, Gnome will have no way of telling that the .desktop file for this
app is in /usr/local.

Personally, I see this as a problem with the app.  The applications need to be
able to find the Gnome shared directory and put the .desktop/.applet files
there instead of their installed prefix.  Then again, this could wreak havoc
with people who run both a devel and a stable version of Gnome in two
different prefixes.

Marcus Brubaker
spoon@elpaso.net
http://www.elpaso.net/~spoon

The church is near but the road is icy; the bar is far away but I will walk
carefully.
	-Russian Proverb