Re: Call for constructive user criticism.

On 1 Aug 1999 16:53:31 -0400, Dennis Lee <mudpup@telepath.com> wrote:
>Miguel de Icaza wrote:
>
>>    Here is what we need:
>
>Users use rpms or other such tools to install, they (me) don't
>understand all the scattered files that dot the many directories like
>weeds in a garden.
>
>1. Gnome needs to improve the (install process | upgrade process) there
>are to many small files / libraries that break one another it seems like
>when you up grade one program You have to up grade another library or
>two. After that you find some other program is broken. You can not back
>out what you just done because of newly created dependencies.

There's not going to be a gnome-1.0.x-1.i386.rpm, if that's what you want
- it's a maintainance nightmare. Scripts to make the install easier would
be nice, though.

>2. Gnome developers need to stop stepping on one another set something
>as stable base library combine that into one binary. All programs should
>be built against the stable base or core.

Not sure what you're recommending here. Everyone _is_ using the same
gnome-libs API/ABI...

>>    1. A team of *users* that would tell us what they would like to see
>>       in GNOME:
>
>The interface is fine for now. Make the system very very stable first.
>
>Last I tried to look through the bugs data base, there was more than 400
>bugs over 60 days old.
>
>Perhaps a week or two of bug clean up first.

Perhaps you missed my post about working toward GNOME 1.0.50? :-)

Bear in mind that some of those bugs are obsolete/fixed/duplicates.
-- Elliot
Who me? I just wander from room to room.