Re: mounting/unmounting devices for newbies

On Thu, Apr 29, 1999 at 12:26:55AM -0500, Ryan Warner wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > the disk again, linux gets all p'd off. Then I can't unmount
> > the disk withought putting the first disk in... seems like it'd
> > be good if you could just say "no, I don't care that you don't see it,
> > unmount it, damn it!" This way a request to the floppy drive would be
>
> </snip>
>
> Is there any reason why if all the criteria for unmounting are met, no one's
> using the fs and all cached data has been written (am I missing any?) that you
> couldn't unmount the disk without having the disk in the drive.  Maybe I've

There is no reason. Therefore, you can unmount the disk without having the
disk in the drive (at least I can).

> missed a correctly dismounted flag on the disk?  What about adding this
> capability just to VFAT and FAT16 disks, leaving ext2 alone?

I'm not aware of any special flags here. I use vfat as filesystem for
the floppy drive.

Does anyone know of a way to disable caching for floppy drives?
There is hardly any need for it anyway.

Ronald