Re(2): Re(2): Database storage approach

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, James Henstridge wrote:

> This sounds like a better idea.  Basically what you are sugesting is to
> keep an index of the users documents (similar to the locate command) to
> make searching for them quicker. But instead of just searching by
> filename, you may want to search by mime type or keywords or some other
> piece of metadata for the file.
>
> Since we already have metadata support in GNOME, it may be possible to
> modify GNU locate so that it can index on certain metadata keys as well.
> It may also be worth changing the metadata functions in libgnome so that
> they update the index as well (so you don't have to run an updatedb type
> application every night).
>
> Now with a GUI frontend to this modified locate command, we would have
> quite a powerful search tool (it may be integrated with gmc or the search
> dialog, which would be even better).

Okay, I have to admit it( shame on me!!!) I don't have a running GNOME
installation at the moment :-(. So, I don't know how GNOME handles
data-storage from the gui. If GNOME provides a dialog for loading/saving,
it would be easy to just improve that instead of all apps ...

A filesystem tree is possible at the moment, but if you change to a
>database view< or something like that, you don't have a folder hierachy
any more. You can see all your documents, or filter them for specific
things like date, etc.

- The views on the files is generated by a fast indexdb.
- To store a document GNOME puts it into a default folder( maybe hidden)
- some easy learnable filtering and sorting facility should be provided(
does GNOME support wizards ?)
- there is no hierarchy in the database approach

How about that?

alex

> James.
>
> --