Re: Re(2): Database storage approach

This sounds like a better idea.  Basically what you are sugesting is to
keep an index of the users documents (similar to the locate command) to
make searching for them quicker. But instead of just searching by
filename, you may want to search by mime type or keywords or some other
piece of metadata for the file.

Since we already have metadata support in GNOME, it may be possible to
modify GNU locate so that it can index on certain metadata keys as well.
It may also be worth changing the metadata functions in libgnome so that
they update the index as well (so you don't have to run an updatedb type
application every night).

Now with a GUI frontend to this modified locate command, we would have
quite a powerful search tool (it may be integrated with gmc or the search
dialog, which would be even better).

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au