Re: IBM just announced speech recognition: was (Re: gnome and handicapped access..)

// On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Bertrand Guiheneuf wrote:

// Yea, you're right that it's not an easy project, but if someone doesn't
// put serious effort into it, it'll never get done.
//
I think this project is putting serious efforts.

// This is cool - thanks for the link. I am building it now.
//
// Pondering whether to buy a book on cepstral analysis and try to make sense
// of it,

I would rather advice you to buy a book on Hidden Markov Model. This is the
magic in Speech Recognition. If you have access to a scientific library,
I would recommend:
A. Waibel and Kai-Fu Lee: "Reading in Speech Recognition",
Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, 1990.

It is a bit old, but you will find all the necessary stuff about SR
and, in particular, a very good introduction to HMM by Rabiner.

Best Regards,

	Bertrand