Re: IBM just announced speech recognition: was (Re: gnome andhandicapped access..)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Bertrand Guiheneuf wrote:

> There are quite a lot of projects to create a Free Software speech recognition
> system. But Speech Recognition is not computer science: you need
> a lot of experience before you can even achieve what was done in the 80's

Yea, you're right that it's not an easy project, but if someone doesn't
put serious effort into it, it'll never get done.

> IMHO, the most advanced  project is :
> http://www.isip.msstate.edu/projects/speech_recognition/index.html
>
> They focused on phone converation recognition, and will have a working
> version in May. However, their softwares are written in C++ and still
> seem to need a lot of memory. They made a generic API in order to
> allow projects like Gnome to be able to integrate their tools easily.

This is cool - thanks for the link. I am building it now.

Pondering whether to buy a book on cepstral analysis and try to make sense
of it,
-- Elliot
"We're sorry, we didn't know it was supposed to be invisible."
	- Sign carried outside US embassy.