Re: IBM just announced speech recognition: was (Re: gnome andhandicapped access..)

I read the article and I think they mean open source the way Microsoft means when
they say open source.  They are riding the buzzword wave of popularity.  I think
that open source only refers to currently registered Nuance developers and
customers.  Also I think, though it was not clear on the web site, that Speech
Objects contains only grammar rules for interpreting the meaning of what a person
has said and not the actual speech engine that converts sound waves to strings of
words that can then be sent to the grammar component to extract meaning.  I know a
bit about speech (actually pattern) recognition but not enough to create an app.
Basically you train a neural net to accept certainty patterns of wave forms.  The
way neural nets work are to take in a pattern and then resonate the closest match
that it has been trained to recognize (So patterns don't have to be exact just
close).  This is called recall (much like we can recall a smell if we smell
something similar).  If there are any Fuzzy Logic, Neural Net people out there who
would like to create an open source speech recognition program this is something
that could be very useful and fun to do.

--
John Palmieri
Martian Rock Interactive