Database storage approach

Hi Gnomers,

I have a short question including a proposal. Well, I posted it a week ago
wrapped in some gnome-mailer comments, but I think it's worth remailing it
and think about it ...

How about using a database for file storage instead the file system.

For example:
	show me all gnumeric documents.
	show me all documents, I edited last week.
	where are all the text files?
	I need the report like it was before I edited a second time.
	... and so on ...

This thought comes every time I'm forced to use M$ software and every app
uses its own default folder for saveing things. The next time I try to
find something its vanished and can only be found using a search( if I can
remeber the name ...)!

GNOME should be easier accessable! No filesystem anymore, only an
interface to a database. This would also attrakt users not familiar with
computers.( My girlfriend's mom doesn't understand the inner secrets of
filesystems and is very afraid of them ... )

There would also be a possibility to let the user chose from the file
dialog between the database access and the file system.

alex

Alexander Peuchert
mailto:alexander@peuchert.de
http://www.peuchert.de ( not very interesting yet ;-) )