Re: IBM just announced speech recognition: was (Re: gnome and handicapped access..)

This is exactly why it's not bad for new members to go off and buy
StarOffice, Word Perfect, Bru, and all those other closed source
programs. Eventually the open source community will catch up and provide
real alternatives to these programs. In the meantime it means that
people can learn about Linux whilst using it for their normal business
tasks.

I think that a point which should perhaps be coming out of this
discussion is that anyone who wishes to write Gnome software (or any
open source software for that matter) using the IBM ViaVoice SDK should
keep in mind the desirability of dropping in an open source substitute
at some later date. We need to have something in the middle that all
open source projects requiring speech recognition capability can tap
into, so that only that code need be modified for a new API. I don't
think this need introduce a performance hit, and it would keep our
projects from being locked into any closed source speech recognition
API.

So, any Gnome speech recognition layer programmers out there?

Best regards to all.
Paul Dorman