Re: IBM just announced speech recognition: was (Re: gnome andhandicapped access..)

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999 bratsche@dfw.net wrote:

> As nice as that would be, it's extremely wishful thinking. There's
> almost no chance in hell that we could develop a speech package that
> would come anywhere close to the quality of IBM's. They've been
> developing and optimizing that thing for years and years, and
> supposedly they have about the best speech recognition package that
> there is.

This is the same attitude that produced emacs, gcc, Linux, and other
software packages that compete favorably with commercial equivalents. I
highly recommend that we all adopt this attitude as the disposition of
choice among the (now former) free software hackers.

</sarcasm>,
-- Elliot
Point being not that IBM's stuff is good, but that the longer we wait to
start creating a free version, the more "catching up" we have to do.