RE: Please help - It will only take a minute!

On 27-Apr-99 Hamish typed:
> Hello again everyone,
>
> I have been struggling with a problem for nearly 100 hours now and, to
> say the least, I think I've put a lot of effort into trying to reach
> some point of resolution.
>
> Although I have had three responses to my question from this list, they
> were unfortunately from non Red Hat/RPM users and although I very much
> appreciate their generosity, I am still no closer to finding an answer
> to my query.

i answer every RH/RPM problem i see, unless there are already lots of answers
to it. e-mail me directly with your prob and i'll be happy to help.

> My problem appears to be outside the scope of knowledge to which this
> mailing list subscribes and although I appreciate the need to speculate
> on additional features for Gnome, it seems that there are a lot of
> problems with the present release which need to be addressed first. If
> not here, then where do new users go for help? Is there an actual
> technical assistance list/news group/forum somewhere for Gnome 1.x
> specific problems?

that's what this mailing list is for! (although technically it's not 1.x
specific). unfortunately, you can't really get official technical support on
copy-left software.

> I can appreciate that Windoze users may appear stupid to long term Linux
> users, however the fact that we are here, demonstrates our willingness
> to learn. Isn't that what the Linux community has been hoping for for so
> long? I thought the whole point of the Gnome project was to facilitate
> access to Linux for those of us who do not think in 1s and 0s.

that's true, but remember: even though the version has passed 1.0, it's still a
work in progress.