Re: [PROPOSAL] Better control center

James Green wrote:
> Each Window Manager has different things to configure, so a single > capplet isn't the answer. OTOH, for consistency all the WM capplets > should look and operate the same way (you shouldn't have two ways of > selecting a background image, one for both of your installed WMs).
>
> The question therefore is, does one capplet detect and modify itself to
> the current WM, or should capplets be produced for each WM.

 It might be best to write a skeletal WM capplet which WM authors can
modify or extend to suit their window managers. This would allow
weird/unique features to be configured without having to write a
complicated plugin interface, but for basic features the same code would
be reused. The modified capplet would be distributed with the WM. We are
only talking about a handful of Gnome-compliant window managers, and
most people will only have a couple of window managers installed, so a
plugin interface seems like overkill.

 - Michael Rogers