Have I messed myself up?

I just installed gnome 1.0 after freshly installing redhat 5.2 on my
intel pentium system. Ill keep this brief.  I was having a LOT of
trouble with the RPMs....and I now think this is because one of them was
actually corrupt...some file transfer error or something.  In the course
of installing them I removed (i dont remember the exact name)
gtk+-1.0.6  or something even though rpm told me i would be breaking a
lot of dependencies.  i did this because i think i was having trouble
installing a never gdk which was one of the rpms that i got with the
gnome Base files.  Before I figured out my problem i RPMed everything
with the --nodeps option and got it to work.  Now gnome runs...but I am
wondering: will all the dependencies on the old gdk be switched to the
new one?  or am i going to try to run something and have it fail?
also, could i have seriously messed something up by using the --nodeps
option?

I can easily just completely start over again if necessary. (even to the
point of reformatting, it would only take a few minutes, since i have
nothing on here that i need to keep)

Umm, sorry this message is confusing.  Maybe someone has some advice for
me.

Thanks,
Scott Webster
7sw3@qlink.queensu.ca