Re: "Installshield" like Desktop Icon & menu bar (fwd)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Todd Graham Lewis wrote:
> Woops!  I'm not subscribed; I read gnome-list through a local news
> gateway, so I can't post this.  Can you forward this to the list for me?

BTW: this list is actually at Red Hat AFAIK, so you can post without
subscribing by joining the post-only list. I"m not sure if it's
post-only-request or post-only-list-request@redhat.com to subscribe.

> The Debian distribution has a very, very nice mechanism for updating the
> system menu when software is installed using their dpkg system.  This on
> top of the fact that dpkg itself is, imo, the best packaging system out
> there makes me really wish that dselect didn't suck so mightily.  Just
> throw alittle GTK sugar on top of dpkg and you've got what you're asking
> for.  Havoc, how's that going?

It's "on hold" for another month or so due to another project - but I have
a list at http://www.debian.org/~hp/gnome-apt.html of small, discrete
tasks people can work on, without even learning most of the code! :-)
I do have time to fold in patches if I get any. :-)

In a month or two I'm going to start hacking it again, so expect rapid
progress at that point.

It's even almost usable in its current state, I think some people do use
it.

Havoc