Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:28:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Todd Graham Lewis <tlewis@mindspring.net>
To: Wilson Lim <tc98006@ee.ucl.ac.uk>
Cc: gnome-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: "Installshield" like Desktop Icon & menu bar

(N.b., originally to gnome-web-maint)

On Fri, 23 Apr 1999, Wilson Lim wrote:

> Subject : "Installshield" like Desktop Icon & menu bar
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there any x-windows rpm packages out there
> that has an automatic installation process that
> put an icon of the installing software on the
> desktop, and also on the menu bar menu
> (e.g on the applications menu, and the
> right click menu of gnome)
> Its like those you get from the "Installshield"
> setup program for Windows95.

The Debian distribution has a very, very nice mechanism for updating the
system menu when software is installed using their dpkg system.  This on
top of the fact that dpkg itself is, imo, the best packaging system out
there makes me really wish that dselect didn't suck so mightily.  Just
throw alittle GTK sugar on top of dpkg and you've got what you're asking
for.  Havoc, how's that going?

> I find it clumsy to have to use command prompt
> to call the x-window program everytime, or have
> to do the settings manually.

You and me both, brother.

--
Todd Graham Lewis                        Postmaster, MindSpring Enterprises
tlewis@mindspring.net                                (800) 719-4664, x22804

"A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood."          -- George S. Patton