Re: So close, yet so far...

I'm not sure how you are starting up Gnome. This is what I do and it
comes up perfectly every time.

The new install guide doesn't say where Xclients is located.

emacs (or vi)  /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients

Delete everything and enter:

	#!/bin/bash
   		exec gnome-session
	##

Save and exit, then enter at prompt: startx

Note: you might have problems from left over files from previous
attempts. I'm not sure. When I finally figured out how to work things,
I re-installed linux and gnome for a clean, fresh start. I ended up
with less "strange" later on.