So close, yet so far...

OK, I've "mastered" getting Gnome installed.  Now the hard part, editing the
X startup files.  I made what I thought were appropriate edits to
$HOME/.Xclients to no avail.  I added a call to /usr/bin/enlightenment and
exec gnome-session.  Gnome seems to start up but I don't get the panel at
the bottom of the screen.

Enlightenment starts up (the progress bar on the screen completes) and then
a message comes up telling me "another window manager is already running".
I can't seem to get rid of it.  Although Gnome basically seems to be there
there's no nice panel at the bottom.

Please help a Linux newbie!  Someone else on the list asked how to edit the
startup files and got the answer "use vi".  While technically this may be
correct there's many of us who don't yet grok the zen of X Windows startup
files.  A nice step-by-step guide would be extraordinarily useful!  What
should the ~/.Xclients and xinitrc files look like?  Redhad 5.2 builds these
quite complex ones.