Correct way to start Gnome & Enlightenment

I use .xinitrv to start Gnome and Enlightenment.

/usr/bin/enlightenment

exec gnome-session

Everything works fine except the Gnome panel doesn't come up. I have to
bring up an xterm and type gnome-session to bring up.  When I log out,
it sometimes takes two or three tries to exit completely.

What is the correct way to start Enlightenment 0.15.5-100 and Gnome 1.0?

How do I set the the WINDOW_MANAGER variable?  Does it go in .bashrc and
do I set it like the following:  WINDOW_MANAGER=Enlightenment?

I use RH5.2  2.0.36