Re: Can gnome/Linux talk to a Microsoft Network ?

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Alain Marchand wrote:
> Hi,
> Just a question. Since almost all my company work on a microsoft
> network, is it possible to see a microsoft network from a
> Gnome/Linux machine??? I know I can mount a Dos partition on my
> machine, a NTFS (I am not sure...) But can I see the Ms-network?

Sure.  The program you are looking for is called Samba.  It allows
Linux (and other Unix and Unix-like systems) to access SMB based
networks, such as Windows, Lan Manager, and OS/2 networks.

Get more info on it at http://us3.samba.org/samba/samba.html, there is
a very good introduction to it in the documentation section
(http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/SambaIntro.html).

Best of Luck,
-Gleef