Re: installation program

> On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 10:04:30AM -0400, Andrew W. Freeman was heard to
say:

> > As much as I understand the need for yet another mail/news program, I
have
> > to wonder if it would be better to give the average person an easier way
> > install GNOME first.  Even if the installation program was a script
similar
> > to what KDE uses that would help.  Realistically, though, long term
there
> > needs to be a full featured installation program allowing for many
different
> > ways to install, upgrade, and uninstall GNOME.  Perhaps it should be
more
> > generic than that, though.
> >

>   If I may be forgiven for contributing my two cents:
>
>   On Linux systems, at least, Gnome does not need an installation tool--in
> fact, it would be inappropriate for Gnome to create one.  I already have
an
> installation tool on my system which allows me to install, upgrade, and
> uninstall Gnome, it's called apt.  (For RedHat users: s/apt/rpmfind ;-) )
> For Gnome to *require* its own private installation method would be
unfriendly
> to say the least; it should use native package managers whenever possible.

Actually, I was referring to the discussion that was held a week or so back.
This would be a tool that would have the ability to download the latest
versions of files from the CVS tree, ftp site, web site, or locally.
Whatever.  Its primary purpose would be to simplify the installation process
for new users.  Any of the articles that I have seen that are discussing
GNOME complain about how difficult it is to install.

Someone posted a message today about configuring the X startup script.
Others have asked about mounting drives.  I am too new to this list (and to
GNOME) to rattle off other issues that are common.  What I was thinking
would suffice (for now) would be an installation/upgrade script.  It would
handle dependancy problems automagically, configure the basic startup files,
etc..  It could even offer to mount drives for the user.  I just think GNOME
has to work on its PR.  Making it easy to install would be a significant
step in the right direction.

>   On the other hand, I can imagine that some non-Linux systems without
> package management would benefit from this?  I didn't get the impression
> that that's what you were talking about though, apologies if you were.

This would go back to the original idea.  This would allow a user to manage
the installation/upgrade of GNOME via packages or compilation.

Andy