Re: installation program

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Daniel Burrows wrote:
[snip]
>   If I may be forgiven for contributing my two cents:
>
>   On Linux systems, at least, Gnome does not need an installation tool--in
> fact, it would be inappropriate for Gnome to create one.  I already have an
> installation tool on my system which allows me to install, upgrade, and
> uninstall Gnome, it's called apt.  (For RedHat users: s/apt/rpmfind ;-) )
> For Gnome to *require* its own private installation method would be unfriendly
> to say the least; it should use native package managers whenever possible.
>
>   On the other hand, I can imagine that some non-Linux systems without
> package management would benefit from this?  I didn't get the impression
> that that's what you were talking about though, apologies if you were.

Most non-Linux systems have package management as well, particularly the
commercial Unixes (which generally charge extra for a compiler).  FreeBSD
and OpenBSD both use the Ports packaging system.  I'm not sure what NetBSD
uses.  IMHO, GNOME binaries should be distributed using the native
packaging system, not anything GNOME-specific.

-Gleef