installation program

There is a nice article about Caldera OpenLinux 2.2 on Linux World's web
site.  The focus was on how easy the installation program was for Caldera
and how nicely KDE made things for new users.

If you are interested:

www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-1999-04/lw-04-penguin3.html

Anyway, this article made me curious if the same amount of energy that has
formed around the email tool is going to be applied to the GNOME
installation tool.  There was a short lived thread revolving around such but
I have not seem anything since then.  Perhaps it too has moved to a separate
mailing list like the mail tool?

As much as I understand the need for yet another mail/news program, I have
to wonder if it would be better to give the average person an easier way to
install GNOME first.  Even if the installation program was a script similar
to what KDE uses that would help.  Realistically, though, long term there
needs to be a full featured installation program allowing for many different
ways to install, upgrade, and uninstall GNOME.  Perhaps it should be more
generic than that, though.

Just a thought...

Andy