Re: do tarballs compile on suse 6.0 systems ok?

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Olaf Grüttner wrote:
> Although I can crash my gnome 1.0.? very often I am impressed with
> the look and feel.
>
> I would like to compile the desktop myself with the tar files, but
> they don't compile on my system.
>
> I have read a thread which said "Gnome on Suse 6.0, a nightmare".
> I understood, that Suse puts some important files in another place.
> But why are the ./configure scripts which come with the tarballs
> not capable of finding the necessary stuff?
>
> I thought, that installing one tarball after the other will fill
> my system with the necessary stuff.
>
> do the tarballs now compile on suse 6.0 systems?

Of course they compile, how do you think the SuSE RPMs were made?

Grab the SRPMs, and they could give you some clues on what tricks might
be needed to get the compile process to find all the appropriate
libraries.

Best of Luck,
-Gleef

PS: GNOME now mirrors Jan's GNOME for SuSE site, check out
  http://www.gnome.org/suse/gnome.html