do tarballs compile on suse 6.0 systems ok?

Although I can crash my gnome 1.0.? very often I am impressed with
the look and feel.

I would like to compile the desktop myself with the tar files, but
they don't compile on my system.

I have read a thread which said "Gnome on Suse 6.0, a nightmare".
I understood, that Suse puts some important files in another place.
But why are the ./configure scripts which come with the tarballs
not capable of finding the necessary stuff?

I thought, that installing one tarball after the other will fill
my system with the necessary stuff.

do the tarballs now compile on suse 6.0 systems?

best wishes
Olaf