Re: Wheel mouse in gnome

On Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 07:18:15PM -0700, Spud wrote:
>     This may or may not be related to gnome, but I would appreciate some
> feedback. I have a Logitech Mouseman with a wheel, and all the buttons work
> fine. I set up my /etc/XF86Config file to use the wheel (with ZAxisMapping 4
> 5), but the wheel only works partially. It will work fine in an Eterm, and
> the 'open' dialog boxes. But with gEdit and Netscape (among others) it won't
> work in the main application. Like, if I open a file, the wheel will scroll
> down the directory listing, but when the file is loaded, moving the wheel
> does absolutely nothing. Same thing in netscape.

Yes, this is correct.  Directory listings, the GMC FileManager display, etc.
work with the wheel, but the text canvases do not.  However, if you position
the mouse pointer over the scroll bar, then the wheel does work.  Applications
like rxvt, xterm, eterm provide their own support for the wheel, while others,
such as netscape, do not.  As previous replies point out, there is a web page
available that lists all the necessary kludges to get things to work.

Nate