Gnome crashes when starting x!

     When I use the startx command and have gnome-session in the .xinitrc
     file in the root directory, logged on as root, I get the message

     Registering Priority(NULL)

     waiting for the xserver to shut down

     and it kicks me back to the bash shell.

     I am running on a digital UDB( alpha 166 ) with 128 megs of ram and a
     4 gig scsi2 drive.  If I start x without the gnome-session x starts
     fine with the crap ms 95 look alike shell.  I am running redhat linux
     5.2 and the latest gnome rpms.  Enlightenment is my window manager.
     Please help.

     jake