panel properties does bad behavior

If you use the panel->This Panel's properties->background tab.  It is
showing some very bad behavior.  I work in an environment where my user
directory is nfs mounted from a fileserver.  My directory and others are
mounted using automounter.  An abstraction is used /users which points to
the location of each home directory.

So /users would look something like this:

sri -> /net/blackforest/volume1/sri
john -> /net/blackforest/volume5/john

and so forth, there are probably about 300 entries here.

When I go into panel properties and try to change the background, panel
tries to stat through the whole /users directory, and thus try to
automount every single volume in /users.  This is bad.  It does this
because it wants to fill in the information from /users so that you can
go up and down the hierarchy.  This is not good.  Because, if I reclick on
the browse icon, it will again try to automount all the directories.

It should not be mounting every volume every time.  Please fix this
behavior.

I'll file a bug report on this as well.  This is using
gnome-core-1.0.5/gnome-libs-1.0.8.

	sri

Sri Ramkrishna         /|\ Unix is very user friendly, its just very picky
email: sri@aracnet.com -|- on who it is friendly to. -- Unknown?
phone: 503-356-1078    \|/