Re: a gnome mailing agent

Alexander Peuchert <peuc@peuchert.de> wrote:

[A lot of good stuff describing a mail server arch that sounded real good]

> Comments are welcomed ...

OK... comments you have.

I like your thoughts. I have been thinking the same way. I would also add
news into the fray. That is make it so you can access newsgroups in a
simular way and combine/compare them to mailing list. If the mail "folders,
for want of a better word, are just generic storage places for messages(mail
or news).

Then on the server side you provide some kind of generic query interface for
these message "folders".

Ideally I would love to see mail/news client that provides me the ability to
do stuff like build my own custom newsgroup with only the threads I
choose(based on some arbitary criteria) in them. For example I may want to
follow a particular thread in a particular newsgroup and/or mailing list by
placing that thread in a separate folder. Then I may want to place
filters/redirections on top of these filters/redirections etc, etc...

Then Id like to be able to share all this data with other (completely
arbitary) applications for custom processing or mirroring or achiving or
whatever... how does that sound :)

Cheers,
Ciaran