Re: Localization doesn't work

On 19 April, 1999 - Drazen Kacar sent me these 0,9K bytes:

> Solaris. GNU gettext installed in /usr/local.
> All packages configured with CC=cc LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib".
> Localization doesn't work anywhere, starting from GTK.
>
> For some obscure reason, `make install' installs *.mo in /usr/local/lib/locale
> instead of /usr/local/share/locale, but I can live with that.
>
> The build process doesn't use /usr/local/lib/libintl.a, so
> bindtextdomain() & friends are resolved from /usr/lib/libc.so. Of course,
> system library has never heard of /usr/local/lib/locale.

It's a tricky one.. On solaris I have so far run configure, edited
config.cache to tell it that gettext was not found in libc, but to link
with libintl instead... It's a gross hack, I know.. but what can we do?

On linux systems, we want to use gettext() if found in libc, and the
same on solaris if GNU gettext is not installed (if it is installed,
we'll get the gnu format for solaris gettext to parse.. bad..)

/Tomas
--
Tomas Ögren, stric@ing.umu.se, http://www.ing.umu.se/~stric/
|- Student at Computing Science, University of Umeå