Re: Writing a GNOME mail client.

I think a lot of lessons can be learned about user interface from
Netscape's
mail tool..  Yes, it has it's limitations..  But there's lot's to
salvage  ;-)

A couple of things I'd like to see in a mail reader:

1) An option to leave mail in standard mail box, unless told to move it
(explicit move or a filter).  I hate that netscape automatically
moves incoming mail to ~/nsmail/Inbox.

  If I read mail at school with netscape, then try to read mail over a
modem with pine, the mail isn't there.  I'd like to see some
compatibility in access methods.

2) Option to store mail in compressed format..

3) Be able to apply filters to what is displayed (like netscape mail's
search message, but MUCH more powerful).

4) Be able to apply filters to split mail into different folders, to
existing folders, not just incoming mail..

ie..   say, you are currently putting gnome-list and gnome-announce in
the same folder..  You then decide to put them in seperate ones..  You
create a nice filter for new messages, but what about the one's already
in the gnome folder?

Ryan

         Ryan Leduc         |    leduc@control.toronto.edu

   University of Toronto    |   'Any mans death diminishes me,
                            |    because I am involved in Mankind;
   Dept of Electrical and   |    And therefore never send to know
    Computer Engineering    |    for whom the bell tolls;
   Systems  Control Group   |
                            |    It tolls for thee.'

    Toronto, Ont, Canada    |         John Donne