Re: CDDB over HTTP support now in gtcd

There also seems to be a freecddb.org as well, which doesn't give as much
info as the freedb.org.  I don't know which one has a larger database
though (I think they both use the database from before the licence
changes).  I can't make the change to the default for gtcd, since I don't
maintain the program.  Tim P. Gerla (timg@means.net) is the maintainer,
and if a default like that is going to be changed, you will have to
convince him (I got permission before adding the http feature for
instance).

I got the information about the http access method from the cddb website,
but never saw any licence information (not even a click through one, or a
licence at the top of the protocol document), so I don't think the code is
bound by any of escient's licences.

One thing I don't get about the escient licence (about not using any other
cddb-like data sources) is, if the cddb host is configurable, what should
the author do?  Check to make sure the hostname is cddb.com?

Since gtcd is GPL'd, I suppose in principle we should be supporting
freedb.org.  I only wonder about the size of its database in comparison to
cddb's.

James Henstridge

--
Email: james@daa.com.au