Re: CDDB over HTTP support now in gtcd

James Henstridge <james@daa.com.au> writes:
> If you wanted to use the cddb functionality of gtcd to get track listings
> but are behind a firewall, try checking out the latest CVS version of
> gnome-media.  I have added support for using cddb over http (including use
> of an http proxy).
>
> In order for it to work correctly, you will need to install libghttp (the
> gnome-http module on CVS, or the libghttp and libghttp-devel RPMs).  After
> that, just configure and make and install the gnome-media package.  On the
> CDDB Settings page in the preferences window, click on the use http check
> box.

I guess the next change will be to default to freedb.freedb.org rather
than cddb.com -- here's why (from the freedb page):

        As Escient has been changed the terms of licence for accessing
        CDDB, some programmers complained that the new licence
        includes certain terms that threatens them in a way thay
        cannot accept: If you want to access CDDB, you are not allowed
        to access any other CDDB-like database (this one, for example)
        and - while accessing the database - the programmer has to
        ensure, that a CDDB-logo is displayed (Funny sidenote: One
        programmer told me, that his cd-player will be banned if he is
        refusing to display the CDDB-logo. His software is a
        console-based program (it does not produce any graphical
        output) for blind people...).

        Always being able to choose is one of the advantages if the
        internet. If Escient forbids the use of other sources now, you
        can easily think of things coming next...

        Furthermore, many people submitted the information without
        charging anybody and they thought their help would remain
        free, because the initital licence was GPL (see: www.gnu.org
        for more information on GPL).

I couldn't verify the license first hand, but a search on /. will
probably give you enough info.

- Hari