Re: Writing a GNOME mail client.

Michael,

you're not talking email clients here.  You're talking something much
broader.  Something almost yahooish.  Organized data storage mechanisms.

Maybe that's something we need to turn our thoughts to as a group.

How can we organize the data in our life in the most flexible and easy
to use manner?  for all sorts of different meanings of "easy to use".

Maybe an architecture like this would be a start.  This is rough, I'm
working this up just out of the shower. :)

                           Message Storage System
A Message is any document (email, image, raw text, URL, etc)

Each message stored is given a unique ID.  (Basically, a public dB key
if you will).

Each Message may be tagged as belonging to any number of subject areas.
	In the common case, most Messages will only belong to a single
	subject area.

An index of each subject areas will be maintained on the fly.  However,
this index needs to be able to be regenerated from the Messages
themselves in the event of an index corruption.  This means we'd need to
store the tagging with the Message.

Standard dB tools should let us build something like this.  We could even
make default 'Themes' of subject areas for folks who really don't feel
like taking the time to create their own.

We'll probably find ourselves needing to use gecko or something like it
for the display engine of the various Messages, since it can handle a
whole lot of data types.

Am I just whizzing in the dark here?  Or does this sound like a decent
aproach to this problem?

regards,
scottwimer